Monday, April 9, 2012

The Importance of Friends Who Get It and Love You Anyway

It’s a little difficult to concentrate on writing this morning.  The kids have the day off from school.  There are two young girls playing a dance game in the next room.  They have it turned down out of respect for me, but it’s still pretty impossible to get any deep thought into word.  It’s even hard putting these few sentences together.

But this is good.  This is very, very good.

The Princess watched a movie last night with me and a friend – a friend just a bit younger, but one who is quite mature, and one who gets what it is like to live with trauma.  Her life is far different than The Princess’.  She is blessed with an adoptive mother who has adored her from birth.  She still gets it.  She still knows about loss.

Friend spent the night.  They giggled, and talked.  They listened to music.  They’re giggling some more.

Have I ever mentioned I loathe Britney Spears’ music?

But it is a good, good morning.

Encourage your kids to find the friends who help make their lives better – and friends whose lives they can also make better.  Do the same for yourself.  Find friends who get how hard it is to raise traumatized kids with attachment issues – how some days it just makes you crazy – but who love you anyway.  I am so thankful for mine.  I wish you all lived much closer.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Friends that "get it," no matter what "it" is, is SO necessary. As a mom of multiple special needs kids, I'm totally feeling the need for such friends today.

Unknown said...

Oh Michelle, I just saw your comment. This is the first time I've been on the computer since breaking my ankle on Saturday. I wish you lived closer. I'd love for my kids to know your kids. And I think you're amazing. Love you, TMT